The Interactive Metronome (IM) is a neuro-motor therapy that has changed clinical expectations by assisting patients in reaching greater functional gains in a shorter period of time.
The IM is an assessment and treatment tool used in neuro-metabolic therapy to improve the neurological processes of motor planning, sequencing and processing.
The IM program provides a structured, goal-oriented process that challenges the patient to synchronize a range of hand and foot exercises to a precise computer-generated reference tone heard through headphones. The patient attempts to match the rhythmic beat with repetitive motor actions. A patented auditory-visual guidance system provides immediate feedback measured in milliseconds, and a score is provided.
Interactive Metronome Testimonial
Over the course of the treatment, patients learn to:
- Focus and attend for longer periods of time
- Increase physical endurance and stamina
- Filter out internal and external distractions
- Improve ability to monitor mental and physical actions as they are occurring
- Progressively improve coordinated performance.
Such patients include:
- Sensory Integration Disorder
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Cerebral Vascular Accident (CVA)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Non-verbal Learning Disorder
- Balance Disorders
- Limb Amputation
- Parkinson's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
We have been extremely pleased with the improvements and results we regularly see with our patients when the IM is in their treatment plan. Dr. Marquis is the only IM certified doctor in the San Luis Obispo County.